If you are a victim of an act of racism or hatred (or are supporting a victim), please call 9-1-1 to report the incident.
- When reporting an incident, state that you are reporting a Hate Crime (emergencies such as attacks, assaults and threats).
- For non-emergency crimes such as graffiti, vandalism and hate propaganda, the operator will connect you to the appropriate detachment to handle the situation.
- There is no fee when calling 9-1-1 for either emergency or non-emergency situations.
If you are a victim of a hate crime, or have witnessed a hate crime, help is available through victim services and other resources.
Contact Vancouver Police Hate Crime Unit Det. / Cst. Jacquie Abbott of the Hate Crimes Unit can be reached at 604-717-9993 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Speak to a Victim Service Worker by calling VictimLink BC at 1-800-563-0808 (confidential and multilingual)
- Contact Police Based Victims Services by calling 1-877-869-0720.
- Contact the Youth Against Violence Line at 1-800-680-4264 (confidential and multilingual)
If you experience discrimination, you can file a complaint to Canadian Human Rights Commission
Mail your written complaint to:
Canadian Human Rights Commission
344 Slater Street, 8th Floor
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 1E1
Call and make your complaint to our National Call Centre:
Toll Free: 1-888-214-1090
For ongoing support following an act of racism or hated, there are many organizations that offer free or sliding scale fees for counselling, support groups, physical therapy, and legal services. See list below:
Free & Sliding Scale Counseling:
Gordon Neighbourhood House 604-683-2554 or email@example.com
South Vancouver Neighbourhood House firstname.lastname@example.org
Kitsilano Neighbourhood House 604.736.3588 x 128 or email@example.com
Qmunity (LGBTQ) 604-684-5307
Islamophobia Hotline 604-343-3828
For more, please check out BC 211 http://redbookonline.bc211.ca/
Aboriginal Wellness Program at (604) 675-2551
Affiliation of Multicultural Societies and Service Agencies of BC at 604-718-2780
Broadway Youth Resource Centre at 604-709-5720
Battered Women’s Support Services at 604-687-1867
Downtown Eastside Women’s Centre at 604-681-8480
Ending Violence Association of BC (EVA BC) at 604-633-2506
Equitas – International Centre for Human Rights Education at 604-876-4881
MOSAIC Multicultural Victim Services at 604 254 9626
Pacific Community Resources Society at 604-412-7950
Progressive Intercultural Community Services at 604-596-7722
Vancouver and Lower Mainland Multicultural Family Support Services Society at 604-436-1025
Women Against Violence Against Women at 604-255-6344
For other OARH offices in BC, please click here.
December 7, 2017 - ANHBC Condemns Acts of Racism and Hate