Beyond Orange Shirt Day
* Content warning *
This post contains information about residential schools. For helplines and support, scroll to the end.
Tomorrow is the national Day of Truth and Reconciliation, but our solidarity with Indigenous movements should not stop when we change out of our Orange Shirts. Public events are important for recognizing and unlearning the colonial ways we navigate our world, but how can we avoid this becoming a purely performative gesture? Colonialism is not a thing of the past. We are living in a world structured by colonial power and devastation, and the harmful effects are ongoing and reemerging.
Stay up to date about events disproportionately affecting Indigenous communities across Canada and the world. If you are passionate about any social justice issue, then you are passionate about Indigenous social justice issues.
Many Indigenous teachers and leaders have taken on the traumatic work of educating others. The burden of this work falls on Indigenous communities all too often. Whatever your starting point, how can you take responsibility for your unlearning on Orange Shirt Day and beyond, to make an impact in the way you live on this stolen land?
Join us in our journey of unlearning.
Books, music and arts:
- Our Voice of Fire by Brandi Morin
- This Place: 150 Years Retold
- Nikamowin music platform
- Cedar Root Gallery
News and podcasts:
- Home Page - Final Report | MMIWG (mmiwg-ffada.ca)
- Merchandise - Orange Shirt Society (orangeshirtday.org)
- Donate Now — Indian Residential School Survivors' Society (irsss.ca)
- Support | Aboriginal Mother's Centre Society | Vancouver (aboriginalmothercentre.ca)
Helplines and Support:
- The Residential School Survivors Society (IRSSS): 1-800-721-0066
- Mental Health Support Line: 310-6789
- Vancouver Coastal Regional Distress Line: 604-872-3311
- Sunshine Coast/Sea to Sky: 1-866-661-3311
- Seniors Distress Line: 604-872-1234
- Online Chat Service for Youth: www.YouthInBC.com (Noon to 1am)
- Online Chat Service for Adults: www.CrisisCentreChat.ca (Noon to 1am)
Image: Programs at Frog Hollow Neighbourhood House are coming together to make a community banner for Orange Shirt Day.